What you can do today to be an Active Ally to Women and Girls
One of the most important things you can do to help promote gender equity, healthy relationships, positive ideals of masculinity, and help end gender-based violence is to speak out against it.
- Think about the kind of man you want to be. Be true to yourself.
- Be respectful towards women, girls, and other guys. Sexism and homophobia hurts us all.
- Never use force, threats, or violence in your relationships with others.
- Practice enthusiastic consent. Ask first. Whether it’s holding hands, kissing, or more, it’s important to communicate.
- Wear a white ribbon and speak out against violence against women.
- Be a good role model and share with those around you the importance of respecting women and girls
- Learn about the impact of violence against women in our communities.
- Challenge and speak out against hurtful language, sexist jokes, and bullying.
- Accept your role as a guy in helping end violence against women. It affects everyone.
- Start a White Ribbon Club or Campaign in your school, community, place of work, or faith group/place of worship.
Take a stand against sexual assault and harassment
- BELIEVE This issue is real. Believe survivors’ experiences. Your support will make a difference. Tell them ‘it’s not your fault ’. No one asks for or deserves to be sexually assaulted or harassed.
- TRUST YOUR GUT Don’t walk on by if you witness harassment or an assault on the street or anywhere: assess the risk, then intervene and confront or defuse the situation. If you need to, ask for help. Call 911.
- OFFER SUPPORT Ask if you can help people who have experienced violence and connect them to support services. Help the organizations that support survivors of violence. Contact Assaulted Women’s Helpline for resources and support at 1.866.863.0511 or visit www.awhl.org.
- IT STARTS WITH YOU Lead by example. Question your own attitudes and behaviours and how they may disrespect or harm women. Sexist language and street harassment all contribute to a culture of violence.
- IT STAYS WITH HIM Be a role model. Talk to your family, friends and co-workers about the roles they can play in ending violence against women. Challenge men and young men in your life to make a difference!
- LEARN MORE. GET INVOLVED We have all the resources you need to get involved and make a difference.